Welcome!

Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Bucket November 2007

The Bucket
Learn it, Love it, Do it!


Life is interesting. Depending on who you listen to, we are either in the best of times or the worst of times. Some might be looking too close and some are not looking at all. Some are ruled by fear while others seemed to be asleep at the wheel. Some of us want to hide, while others throw caution to the wind. Let us not be ruled by fear or procrastination; let us be driven by simple faith and obedience. The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of good news and preparation. We must prepare ourselves spiritually and temporally. We prepare not because we fear the future, but because being prepared is simply who we are as Saints.

I am concerned that some members of the ward are getting overwhelmed with the entire food storage/emergency preparedness issue. Depending on who you listen to, it seems that if you don't know how churn your own butter or make soap from horse hair, you are in a lot of trouble. Please understand that the Lord is asking us to first obtain a three month's supply and then complete our year supply. No one will go hungry because they can't make wheat burgers. Frankly, I don't think we will be making them any time soon.

Luckily for me, I'm married to the most grounded person I know. She is the epitome of balance and temperance (unless it involves chips and salsa). She has taught me to only worry about the things that I can control. Oil prices, the dollar, George Bush and global warming are all things over which I have little control. I can learn to make bread. I can find fun things to add to my food storage. I can learn as I go. I will be blessed because I simply kept the commandment. Remember, Nephi didn't know how to build a ship until they came to the shore. One step at a time, my friends.

Next week I will be passing out order forms for the food storage party. We will have two stations on Saturday, December 15th from 2-4pm. We will need at least 10 volunteers! While I would love the entire ward to participate, you don't have to attend to order food.

Hermetically sealed,

No comments: