Welcome!

Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Bucket April 2007

In my line of work,I frequently hear the expression, “I wish I had done this sooner!” There are so many things in life in which this statement rings true. One reason why I delay is because I just don't know how to adequately tackle the problem or it seems overwhelming. When it comes to food storage, not only is it overwhelming, but it is a change of lifestyle. Along with change of lifestyle, comes sacrifice. We finished a lot of our basement last fall and included a den—the only space that is deemed “man space.” There is a special place on my wall for a humble-sized flat screen LCD television. I've been tempted several times to make the purchase, however, I decided that I would feel a lot better about my new toy if I were to get my food storage first. It is really hard to relax in the den with a guilty conscience. Needless to say, I am motivated!

There are two methods to acquiring your food storage: 1) buy a little at a time or 2) save your money and go on a wild spending spree to finish it all at once. Since I find it fun to spend a lot of money quickly, I've chosen the latter option. The only issue remaining is how much of everything to buy. Until recently, the church had a great calculator that helped you figure out exactly how much of each product you needed. It seems they've replaced it with a more general tool. There is still a worksheet that you can use that will guide you in this process. When you are ready to calculate how much you need, give me a call if you would like assistance.

The other thing to consider is how you will prepare the food in an emergency—no gas or no power. Learning how to make bread during a crisis probably is not a very calming activity. Once you start your food storage, consider practicing/finding recipes and cooking methods assuming you have no electricity or gas in the house. If you need some helpful tips, give me a call.

Finally, this Friday, April 20th, we will be having another food storage night up in Ogden. The party will start at 5:00pm ending at 7:00pm. We will need 4 volunteers with one person willing to make use of their pickup truck for deliveries. The main items will be rolled oats and sugar. Other items will also be available if you would like to order!

It is a delight to be a part of your ward! On Sundays, I look around at all of you and consider myself lucky to be among so many wonderful people. You truly are the elect of God and are remarkable in every way. Please allow me to serve you in my capacity as the “Food Storage Guy.” If you need to find someplace to start, give me a call!

As always,

No comments: