Welcome!

Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Bucket March 2008

On February 21st many of us felt the rumblings of the earthquake in Nevada. I, along with a few other choice souls, was in the Ogden Cannery preparing to make some beef stew. I did not feel anything peculiar, but within seconds, I was receiving text messages and emails on my trusted Blackberry device. I immediately asked myself, “Am I prepared? If the quake struck close to home, would I be able to provide for my family?” I realized there were a few things that I still didn't have in storage. While we had plenty of containers, I hadn't filled them with water. While empty buckets make for a temporary source of clean air, their true purpose is to store clean, potable water. Upon purchasing a few cases of beef stew, I immediately set out to fix my water shortage.


One of the main impediments that delayed my water storage was obtaining my RV hose to fill the barrels. I drove down to the certain RV dealership in Kaysville and found a 50-foot retractable RV hose. It worked perfectly! Within 45 minutes, I had enough water to last my family several weeks. The whole time I asked myself, “Why did I wait so long to do something so easy that could tremendously affect the well-being of my family?”


As I finished up my project, I was absolutely giddy. I was humming, smiling from ear to ear, and my toes were tapping. I spent the rest of the day driving up to Big Sky, Montana to go fly fishing—a justifiable reward for my noble efforts.


My next project is kerosene. Unfortunately, this is the most expensive item for your preparation needs. It is easy to find but takes a bit of cash. I suggest getting about 15 gallons to start, along with a high efficiency kerosene heater. That will last you a few weeks. It isn't perfect, but it may last long enough for the gas company to restore your utilities. Once you get the basics, you can add to it 5 gallons at a time. If you look on http://www.onlinebucket.blogspot.com/, you will see what a certain ward member did with his kerosene. The man is a genius!


Watered down,

4 comments:

John and Jan Sherman said...

I really wanted to see what this wonder dude did with his kerosene. Help

Kristy said...

Scroll down to picture.

Connie said...

Where did you get your water storage barrels? I'd like to get some, but don't know where to go.

Kristy said...

I'd go to Macy's for the barrel and Blaine Jensen RV for the hose.